When you have a matte wrap on your car, or just matte paintwork, you need to take care what protective product you are using. Protecting a matte finish is just as important as on a normal surface, but you need to be careful what you use.
What is a matte finish
Difficult to protect or polish
The problem with a matte finish is that you don’t want to add gloss. When you look at a glossy surface with an imperfection (scratch, swirl etc.), you’ll notice how the surface appears to be imperfect. Because the surface imperfection isn’t glossy, it stands out. We can fix this by polishing. The polish will remove a part of the paint, and will leave a microscopical smooth surface.
Matte is the opposite of this, it isn’t glossy and the surface isn’t a perfectly microscopic smooth surface. If you would polish a matte finish, you would rub away the uneven surface, and turn it into a smooth surface with gloss.
Wax (and certain other products) are designed to add as much gloss as possible. Which would mean that you add gloss to your matte surface. This is not really what you would want. To polish or protect a matte finish, you would need a product that covers the surface evenly, without filling in any gaps.
What protection to use
A very liquid sealant will cover the surface evenly without filling any gaps. Basically any product that doesn’t fill, and isn’t in paste form, would work. Although some are easier then others. A liquid sealant that is very easy to wipe off, will be easier to work with.
things to keep in mind
- You shouldn’t wax a matte surface, after a few coats it will become glossy and shiny
- A matte surface shows patches easier, so pick a product that is easy to wipe off
- You shouldn’t polish a matte surface
- When washing, drying and protecting you need to take extra care that you don’t scratch your matte surface
If in doubt, contact your supplier or the manufacturer. There are several products that are not suitable for a matte finish.
- Work Stuff is one of a few Polish manufacturers of detailing equipment. The brand originates from Poland and has ditributors and reseller accross Europe. The company focusses mostly towards equipment, accessories and towel. The brand is often recognized because of their destincive yellow color....
- Cleaning a matte surface is slightly different to cleaning a regular glossy surface. There are certain things you need to keep in mind to do the job correctly without affecting the matte look....
- Monello is a Dutch brand of detailing products that sells polishes, shampoos, fallout removers, microfiber cloths and several more. The head office is located in the Bergschenhoek, The Netherlands, but it is being sold in several places around the world. ...
- Washing a car in the summer gives the risk of the sun evaporating the water quicker then it can be dried off. You either have to be quick or smart to prevent waterspots or dried up products. These tips might help you in reducing the risk....
- Applicators are products that are used to spread, apply, rub or buff a certain product to a certain surface. These can also be referred to as an applicator pad. There are many several differen shapes, sizes and material that are used for this....
- Wetsanding isn't very difficult in the steps you need to take. It's the technique that makes the different. When mastered, wetsanding can give very good results, but it is also very risk and should be done with great care....