Contamination is a word that is used frequently in the world of detailing. It refers to the matter on top of a surface that shouldn’t be there. They are contaminating the surface, or you can say that they are contaminants. The removal of these contaminants results in a perfectly clean surface. A surface in which the only variable you have to take into account, is the material of the surface itself.
Why is contamination bad
It is mostly about control. When you look at water behavior of a surface, this will be influenced by the contaminants on the surface. Let’s say you want to know if your wax needs to be replaced. One of the easiest ways of doing this, is looking at the sheeting and beading. But when you judge, are you judging on the interaction between water and wax? Or water and contaminants? Or a mixture of both?
That is a matter of uncertainty that you don’t want.
Another example is the stage of polishing. You want the polish to be the only substance interacting with the paint. Because you know how to control the behavior of a polish. But when there are contaminants, you have particles that you don’t know how to control, and don’t know if they can be controlled. So they’re a matter of substance present that you can’t control, and you don’t know what it does or can/will do. This takes away control. And this is bad.
Another point is the long term effect of certain substances on the surface. Certain chemicals can damage the surface. These chemicals should be removed before they can do any harm. In some cases this can be corrected, but preventing is better then having to correct it.
Another example would be the application of a protective product. When the manufacturer designed his product, he didn’t create it to bond with grime, dust and sand. He made it with the aim of bonding with the surface it is made for. When you apply a protective product over a surface full of contaminants, the product won’t bond properly because it isn’t designed to interact with sand, dust and other contaminants.
This will result in much shorter durability, and negatively affected performance.
What are contaminants
That list is very long, because when you talk about grime, you are talking about a very large group of materials that apply to the term. This list includes road dust, carbon deposits, dust, salt, rubber, exhaust fumes, etc. To keep the list a bit more simple we can divide it into:
- Fallout (Iron oxide)
- Mineral deposits (from water for example)
- Acid stains (from slightly acid rain)
- Tree sap
- General grime
But that list can be made very long, as the word “contamination” can also be used to refer to the presence of a protective product. If that product is unwanted, it will count as a contamination. When your layer of protective product is worn, and needs to be replaced it becomes an impurity, an unwanted substance/material on a certain surface. So in that situation, even the protective product can count as a contamination.
Where does it fit in
Contamination is something that occurs normally. Simply be being exposed to the environment will cause a surface to become contaminated. The dusty wind, rain, insects, pollen in the spring etc. So even an unused car, parked outside will get contaminated. With the weekly wash, most of that contamination will be removed, but it also depends on the protective product. The harder the layer, the less contaminants can bond. So you can say that simply washing the car is part of decontamination, however, just washing it will only remove a part of the contamination and will have little effect on certain materials.
This is why we use processes such as claying, fallout remover, traffic film remover etc. to remove these unwanted particles. In the weekly wash, decontamination doesn’t fit anywhere really. On the decontamination page, there will be more information on when to do it and how to do it.
- Smart Polish Pro is an English manufacturer of detailing products with a strong aim on environmental-friendly products that do not require the use of water. The company is fairly young, but has been growing in popularity in only a few years....
- When you have stone chips, you probably want to fix it. However, it is not like you can just spray paint your car again. Certain stone chips are more easy to repair then others. With a lot of practice, it can give a very good end result....
- Masking tape is tape designed to be applied to sensitive surfaces with the aim of masking off certain areas and easy and residue free removal. Masking tape comes in several sizes and can be varies colors. It helps to prevent polish from getting onto surfaces you don't want it to get at....
- 3M is one of the largest manufacturers in the world in many different fields. 3M is known to be the owner of brands such as Scotchgard, Mguiars and many more. The company also makes many different products under their own brand....
- BlackWow is a manufacturer of detailing products that originates from California, USA. The company started out originally as a detailer and started to formulate their own products. The name refers to the effect it has on faded trims and plastics. BlackWow is part of Detailing Innovations Inc....
- Microfibers are a fabric that is designed to have certain characteristics. The microscopic fibers of this synthetic fabric can be made to have certain properties by design. Making them excel at certain tasks....
- This is a more long term solution for dealing withmarks and involves removing a thin layer of the clearcoat where the exists down to a flat layer where there are no swirls. This requires a cutting polish and a lot of heat to be generated to achieve this and is therefore best suited to a machine polisher, although results can be achieved to a more limited extent by hand with plenty of patience and strength and stamina....
- If you are starting up a business, it is important to market your business, otherwise people will not know you exist. But how do you do this? How do you make them aware of your presence and service, and then make them come to you? It is something that is difficult for any business. This is why there is big money in marketing. However, there are some reasonably simple steps you can take to get things started....