The Garry Dean Wash Method is a specific way of washing that helps to save money, use less water and aims to minimize the risk of creating swirls or marring. The technique is very suitable for areas with water restrictions, limited resources and can (with a bit of practice) save time.
Why use the Garry Dean Wash Method
This particular wash method has been developed by Garry Dean (owner of Detail Juice and Garry Dean’s Detailing), and is a combination of waterless and rinseless washing, while also minimising the risk of swirls and other surface imperfections.
Garry Dean’s wash method VS rinseless/waterless
This wash method still uses water, and also uses a principle that resembles rinsing. This means it is not completely rinseless and not completely waterless either. The Garry Dean Wash Method will save on water, and can also save on time, but is also less suitable for very dirty vehicles.
Pros of the Garry Dean Wash Method
- It saves greatly on the water used
- With some practise, it can save on time
- Since there is much less water used, it create less “mess”
- Less tools/products are needed
- Can also be used to clean wheels and wheelarches
- If used correctly, can be used safely on a hot day
Cons of the Garry Dean Wash Method
- Although this technique is designed to minimise the risk of swirls and other surface imperfections, it create a slightly higher risk then the traditional 2-bucket wash method
- It uses far more towels then the 2 (or 3) bucket wash method
- It is not suitable for very dirty vehicles
- The “rinsing” might not be enough to remove all product, it is possible that some residue remains that could potentially affect the protective product
The Garry Dean Wash Method
What you need:
- A large bucket
- Lots of MF towels (this can vary between 20 for a small vehicle and 60 on a large vehicle) to put in the bucket
- A handful of dry, clean MF towels
- A spraybottle
- Rinseless wash shampoo
- Pre-soak product (QD can also be used)
The washing method:
- Fill a bucket with water and rinseless wash shampoo
- Fill the bucket with average size MF towels (you may need up to 30 or more, depending on the size of the vehicle and the amount of dirt)
- Fill a spraybottle with a pre-soak product, a QD can also be used on relatively clean cars
- Squeeze/wringe out as much water from a MF towel as possible, this will be your “drying towel”
- Spray the surface with the pre-soak product
- Take a wet towel from the bucket, don’t wringe out, and wipe the area clean with some care. No pressure. You can do roughly 1 panel with this towel. Discard the towel after use!
- Use the moist “drying towel” to “dry” the washed area
- Take a clean and dry MF towel to completely clean the area and buff to a shine
- Take out a new, soaking MF towel to wash the next panel and repeat the steps above
Tips and tricks
- Use a soaking wet MF towel only once, discard it after use
- Check the towel, don’t let it get to dirty
- Stop using a towel to wash when it’s not wet enough anymore
- Wiping in long strokes will prevent round swirls, and makes it easier in the future to recognize if the imperfections where caused by this wash technique
- Don’t put used towel back in the bucket with water
- Work from top to bottom
- Using distilled water will greatly reduce the risk of waterspots
- Mothers Wax is a California, America based manufacturer of detailing products. They offer a wide variety of products that include shampoo, wax, sealants and tools. They have been busy in the world of detailing for several years....
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best claylube". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- A glass polish is a specially designed product that can polish glass. Normal polish isn't hard enough to have an effect on glass, but glass polish solves this problem. ...
- The snowfoam lance is an attachment for a pressure washer that pushes water and a soap micture through a nozzle with a very fine filter in it. This makes the soap mixture foam as soon as it leaves the nozzle. The foam is sprayed over the surface you want to clean. In turn, the foam will soak the dirt, making it easier to rinse off the dirt before washing....
- Tyre blooming is the discoloration of the rubber in a tyre. This usually shows as brown rubber that is hard to clean off. In general, it won't get washed off and it might stain towels or applicators. Blooming doesn't cause immediate damage, but over time it could shorten the lifespan of the tyres by a small amount....
- Autosmart is one of the biggest suppliers of car cleaning products and materials, which are mostly supplied just to professionals and other businesses. The company aims at formulating large quantities which push production costs down. Autosmart is almost being sold worldwide and is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom....