The one bucket method is the most used method of washing a car, but is also the least recommended way of washing the car. In this method the user only uses 1 bucket, which doesn’t allow for much rinsing of the sponge/washmitt.
Most common, most un-recommended
The one bucket method is probably the most common way of washing a car. In this case the bucket is filled with a water/soap mixture and a sponge or washmitt is used to wash the vehicle. The dirty sponge is then rinsed off in the bucket and re-used to wash the rest of the car. This means that the water will get dirty, and the sponge will get less clean as the water gets more dirty. You might start out with a clean sponge, but in the end you’ll be rubbing around a sponge with many dust, sand and other unwanted particles over your paint. It is the easiest way, and the most common way, but it’s also the least favored way by professional detailers.
Why the different methods
There can be several reasons why a certain method of washing is used. Sometimes it’s more economic, other times it’s just because of a deadline. It can also depend on the job you need to do. The one bucket method is best used when the car has already been washed, decontaminated and/or polished. This would make the washing stage nothing more then the removal of polish dust and perhaps a little bit of polish residue. The sponge/washmitt won’t need rinsing for this type of use.
It’s not all bad
The one bucket method does not always have to be a damaging method. By knowing when to use it, and how to do it, you can use the one bucket method in a safe way. The problem with the one bucket method is that it allows for very little rinsing of the washmitt/sponge, which will make the water get dirtier each time you put the sponge/washmitt back into the bucket. You could try to rinse out as much dirt as you can by hosing off the washmitt/sponge, but this doesn’t always work properly and depends largely on the amount of dirt on the vehicle. However, if the hevicle isn’t very dirty, or not dirty at all (like after polishing), you don’t have to worry about the water getting more dirty. In it is much more likely that you can wash the car with one bucket, without worrying about swirls and other marks. As with many things detailing, craftsmanship, experience and knowledge will help to determine what to use in which situation and how to use it safely.
How to use the one bucket method in the best way
If you are going to do the one bucket method, you can pick up a few tips from these lists to advice you on how to use the one bucket method in the safest way. (assuming you are washing a medium to slightly dirty vehicle).
When washing a vehicle
- Try to rinse the washmitt/sponge as much as you can before putting it back in the bucket
- Don’t apply to much pressure on the sponge/washmitt
- Work in small areas
- If at all possible, use several sponges/washmitts so you’ll never end up with a really dirty one
- Try to rinse off as much as possible before washing, snowfoam might help
- It is often asked on detailing fora and social media: "what is the best claylube". Off course there is a difference between certain products and brands, but it is important to know what you are asking. In this guide I will try to explain what the problem is with this question unless it is asked more in-depth....
- Tyre blooming is the discoloration of the rubber in a tyre. This usually shows as brown rubber that is hard to clean off. In general, it won't get washed off and it might stain towels or applicators. Blooming doesn't cause immediate damage, but over time it could shorten the lifespan of the tyres by a small amount....
- When cleaning a convertible, you may have to clean the soft top. This is a fabric canopy that covers the cabin of the car. This fabric needs to be cleaned before it can be protected....
- ODK is the abbreviation of Obi-Dan Karnubi. A nickname given to Dan who started homebrewing in December 2012. His home brewing eventually evolved into a detailing brand called ODK, who is known for his waxes....
- Autosmart is one of the biggest suppliers of car cleaning products and materials, which are mostly supplied just to professionals and other businesses. The company aims at formulating large quantities which push production costs down. Autosmart is almost being sold worldwide and is based in Staffordshire, United Kingdom....
- Carlack is a Swiss manufacturer of car care products that has been making products since 1958. The brand is divided into 4 sections: Carlack, Aerolack, Yachtlack and Polylack, to cater for the need of several different type of surfaces and types of contaminants....